ADSM-L

Archive commandline problem. Any ideas??

1998-04-15 13:08:24
Subject: Archive commandline problem. Any ideas??
From: Scott Emmons <scotte AT CENTER.USCS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:08:24 -0700
Find something weird when I run an archive command from the commandline.
I'm guessing this is a bug, but was wondering if anyone else has seen
this. I'm writing a script to automate an archive task for a user. The
files have to be in a different mgmtclass than the default...

Client is AIX 4.2, ADSM 3.1.01.
Server is AIX 4.2, ADSM 2.1.5.18.

If I fire up "dsmc" and type:

dsmc> archive -subdir=yes -archmc=something -password=something /dir/

everything is just ducky. However, if I type:

$ dsmc archive -subdir=yes -archmc=something -password=something /dir/

straight from the commandline it only archives one of the files in the
directory, yet it says the operation is successful, and is archiving all
the files!! The two commands show entirely different totals for what was
sent (actually, the one that's not working is showing more data copied!).
Also, when run all from the commandline it complains about waiting for
offline media to be mounted, even if it's already mounted.

The client machine is doing Y2K testing so has a strange system date&time,
but I doubt that has anything to do with it, 'cuz it works just fine from
with dsmc.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why it's acting differently! I'd
modify the script to just send the command via stdin to dsmc, however dsmc
wants to talk directly on a TTY and completely ignores stdin. Grrrr...
This is not the right way to code unix programs!

Any help would be appreciated,
-Scott
    L. Scott Emmons    | CableData R&D Center - El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
Staff Software Engineer|   Special Projects, Systems Development Dept
    (916) 939-6088     |  Views and content are my own, not CableData's