ADSM-L

What's your dB backup time? [was Re: scratch volumes in STK 9710]

1998-04-13 15:37:38
Subject: What's your dB backup time? [was Re: scratch volumes in STK 9710]
From: Owen Crow <crow AT SUGAR-LAND.MIS.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:37:38 -0500
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Roger Deschner wrote:
> However, you should consider NOT doing that daily full database backup,
> and instead do a weekly full and daily incrementals. Why? It takes a lot
> longer for a full backup, which takes up your drives for a longer period
> of time, when they could be used doing reclamation instead. This will
> consume exactly six (6) extra tapes, but I bet you can reclaim a lot more
> than that in the time you gain by doing incrementals 6 days a week.

Roger, I curious about the numbers you're seeing on backup times.  I have
a relatively small DB of 2Gb, but it only takes 10 minutes for me to do a
full backup to one of my 3590s.  That's including mount times.

Perhaps I should be suspicious of my backups...?  Is there a way to verify
a DB backup offline?  Ie without doing a test disaster recovery?

Thanks,
Owen