ADSM-L

Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only

1998-04-08 12:33:57
Subject: Re: Tape with write error going Read/Only
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:33:57 -0400
Actually, I disagree.  I'd rather ADSM error on the side of safety than go
ahead and use bad media.  ADSM really has no idea why a write operation failed,
it just knows that it did.  So rather than keep putting data on the possibly
bad media, it stops, and ID's the volume as having had a problem.

So ADSM will mark volumes Read-Only when the volume is fine.  But it's better
than writing 30GB of data to a tape that's bad, and only telling you when you
try to read the data.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, where will you find
the time to do it again?

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 04/08/98 12:01:37 PM