ADSM-L

List problems

1998-04-08 12:04:03
Subject: List problems
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:04:03 EDT
Thanks, Richard, for letting me know that there were problems.  I normally
read the list in digest form, so I might not have noticed for awhile
otherwise.

From what we have been able to trace, it looks like the problem originated
with a badly configured mail server in South Africa, amcotec.co.za to
be precise.  It was taking each posting, crunching it alittle and then sending
it back to us with the exact same headers.  LISTSERV picked it up without
knowing any better and tried to repost the note.  Most of the time, the
software would catch that it was a duplicate of a note already posted on the
list and would send an error note to the original poster.  Of course, that
person would have no idea that this was from a reflection of their note, not
the original.  Got that?

Basically, there are a number of rules laid out (commonly called a protocol)
which govern how e-mail is supposed to be transported throughout the Internet.
This mailer was breaking a number of important ones which resulted in the
mess today.  I've deleted the bad address from the list and will try to
send a note to them about the problem.  Of course, I have no idea if it
will get through.  If they don't fix the problem, I won't allow the person
back on the list.

If further problems like this arise, please send me a note directly.  Since
I read the list in digest form, I may not see the problem for a day or
two otherwise.

Martha