ADSM-L

FW: ADSM V3 and DRM

1998-04-07 09:22:17
Subject: FW: ADSM V3 and DRM
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:22:17 -0400
Hi...
We also run ADSM V2 on AIX 4.2 with an STK9710 and ADSM Enhanced server (the
software that lets you run the 9710 via the STK ACSLS server code.)

Things you get using the Enhanced Server code instead of the IBM drivers:

1) Yes, you get to use all the CAP slots.

2) Checkin/checkout works a bit better.

3) Enhanced Server does NOT replace all the ADSM code.  It sticks a front
end onto ADSM which starts some extra processes when ADSM starts, and also
provides AIX device drivers for the robot and drives.  Those extra processes
work as an interface that somehow turns the ADSM commands into RPC calls to
ACSLS, which then drives the robot.

4) Because  the ADSM to ACSLS communication is via the network, you can have
ADSM running on a different host than ACSLS, i.e., the 9710 could be
physically attached to a different host.  Some people use might use that
capability to share the 9710 with other applications.

5) You can have mixed drive types in the 9710 - we have both 3490-compatible
and DLT drives in the same 9710's.

Our 9710's have always worked great with the 3490 drives.  Last year when we
added the DLT7000's we picked up a lot of problems which have since been
resolved with microcode patches.

However, at the moment there is NOT a version of ADSM Enhanced server for
ADSM V3.
Open Microsystems (the people who provided Enhanced Server) has a new
product that will work with V3, but you have to spend more money to get it,
it isn't an upgrade.  IBM has said they will provide ADSM direct support for
ACSLS-driven STK libraries this quarter, but haven't produced anything yet.

We would like to drop ACSLS and use the IBM drivers so we can go to V3, but
I can't deal with having only 1 slot available in the CAP.  So we will
probably sit on V2 for a while until we see whether IBM will really produce
a driver or not.

Do you know if IBM is planning to fix the problem with only having the 1st
slot available in the CAP?

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert