ADSM-L

labelling volumes containing valid data

1998-04-06 13:25:16
Subject: labelling volumes containing valid data
From: Matt Bacchi <v2bacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:25:16 -0400
It is necessary for us to change the internal labels on all of the 8mm tapes
in our 7331 units, and we would like to do this without losing any valid data
that is on the tapes.
We have both V2.1 and V3.1 servers on AIX 4.1.2 systems, and the information
available for "dsmlabel" and "label libv" allude to the need to have the tape
_not_ defined in a storage pool.  If we do a 'checkout libv' for these
volumes, so that we can then use "dsmlabel" or "label libv" to create new
labels based on barcodes, does the valid data on the tape then become
disassociated with this newly labeled tape?
We would prefer to do this in this manner and not need to use "move data" to
empty the tape and then label them afterwards, if at all possible.

My questions/concerns are:

1)  When we check in these newly labeled tapes as private, will they contain
the data that they had before, and with which label will the data be
associated?

2)  Will ADSM complain about us either checking out the volume, or attempting
to check in(label) the volume with status private?

3)  Is there another way to tell the db that the data was previously
associated with another label, but should now be associated with the newly
labeled tape?

4)  Has anyone else had the need to do something like this, what approach did
you take?

So, if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated, and when I figure
out how it is going to work I will post results to the list if anyone is
interested.

Thanks a lot.

Matt Bacchi                            v2bacchi AT btv.ibm DOT com
IBM Microelectronics DCS                     (802) 769-4072
ADSM Support                                   (tie) 6-4072