ADSM-L

Re: Choosing a medium-sized DLT tape library

1998-04-03 00:07:47
Subject: Re: Choosing a medium-sized DLT tape library
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:07:47 -0600
Steven Bridge wrote:

> We are about to put up ADSM v3 on an RS/6000 F40 running AIX 4.3 and
> are currently considering our choice of tape library.
> It is likely to be a 2 DLT7000 drive model with between 40 and 100 slots.
>
> I would prefer to use a library that existing ADSM users already have
> experience with. Therefore I would be interested in anyone admitting
> to the use of one of the following :
>  StorageTek 9714
>  ATL 520 series library
>  ATL 7100 series library ( recently added to the supported devices list I see
> )
>
> Of particular interest would be any users in the UK with experience of
> hardware support & maintenance for these models.
>
> Also, last summer there was discussion on this list concerning the
> unreliability of DLT7000 drives. Are these problems still persisting or
> have they been sorted out by subsequent firmware revisions ?

>  Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
>                           University College London
>  email: s.bridge AT ucl.ac DOT uk                   tel: +44 171-504 2794

Steven,
        I have a customer with a STK9714, and I did the install of the
ADSM server and configuration of the STK9714.
        We are running AIX 4.2.1 and ADSM server 2.1.15.  We installed
an earlier version of the server and had problems with the library and
support of the DLT7000 tape drives, but at 2.1.15 it has been stable.
I had some problems getting the drives and library defined properly,
but I chalk that up more to my lack of experience with ADSM than with
the server or STK9714 library.
        Make sure you have a recent copy of the manuals, too.  I had
a October 1995 copy of the manuals, and they made no references to
the DLT type drive at all.  Recent versions fixed that.

John Schneider

* John D. Schneider     * Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556 *
* 275 Axminister        * Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine*
* Fenton, MO 63026      * and mine alone.  My company is off the hook.*