ADSM-L

Database Backup

2015-10-04 18:00:06
Subject: Database Backup
From: owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/26/98 8:45PM
Yes - it does matter.  Use the ADSM backup DB functions to handle this.

The only effective way to backup with another product would require that you
shut down ADSM, and take backups of the DB, and other associated files all at
the same time.  Most people I know can't spare the down time for ADSM.  Besides,
the product is designed for 24 hour availability - why do something to
compromise that?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Author:  owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
Date:    3/26/98 8:45 PM

I am new to ADSM, but my company is not, while researching the product I
have noticed that the ADSM database has (query db format=detailed) never
been backed up, at least by ADSM.  Can the ADSM database effectively be
backed-up by another MVS backup application, or should this database be
backed up by ADSM, and does it matter.  We currently have different backup
systems for our mainframe data, for reasons unknown to me.  The ADSM server
runs on MVS, and we only use it for backing up our LAN Servers (NT and
OS/2).

Dale