ADSM-L

Novell Crash / DSMC.NLM

1998-03-26 15:37:40
Subject: Novell Crash / DSMC.NLM
From: "Kuhn, Steve" <AEGISLAN/AEGIS/KUHNS%Aegis AT MCIMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:37:40 -0500
We make a career out of ABENDing Netware with ADSM here (though only on test
boxes), and are far too familiar with these messages.  Some general
suggestions:

Consult SYS:SYSTEM\ABEND.LOG (assuming NW 4) for specific error messages
which can be used to isolate the source of the crash(es).   If you must open
a call w/ IBM, this will be your most convincing and helpful information.
 If ABEND.LOG is not available, copy every message and detail from the abend
screen before restarting the server.  If they have the time and the server
isn't locked, it is sometimes worth writing out the dumps to diskettes for
coders to analyze.

Be very careful in mixing Netware patches.   For NW4, stick with the service
packs, if at all possible.  This minimizes mixing outdated patch versions.
This can be a particular problem w/ older NW 3.x servers, where CLIB gets
mixed in with other non-compatible patches, and where the service pack
bundles are less available.

Question your virus protection, if it is running when the ABENDS occur.
 Some of the products love to brawl with backup software, since both are
usually running full bore at the same time.

Confirm that they are not trying to end DSMC.NLM by using the Netware
command, "UNLOAD DSMC".  Despite messages to the contrary occasionally
posted to this list, DSMC will abend the machine very quickly if it is
pulling any processor cycles.  Those who have not abended have caught it
between cycles.  Instead, try CTRL-C at the Netware console ADSM screen, or
have the ADSM server admin end the session, if active.

Finally, tell them to practice safe "Netware-ing" by assuring that they've
run VREPAIR against their volumes after the abends.  The rule is 2x without
any errors.  This has nothing to do with the crash, but several ABENDS
against busy RAID arrays eventually may lead them to learning a lot about
large restores.

Steve Kuhn, Network Manager
AEGIS Insurance Services, Inc.
kuhns AT aegislimited DOT com