ADSM-L

Re: one stgpool migrates to two?/Scratch volumes in disk storage pools

1998-03-26 05:02:12
Subject: Re: one stgpool migrates to two?/Scratch volumes in disk storage pools
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:02:12 GMT
Replying to: "Nicholas, Murray, Haltek/AU" <MurrayNi AT HALTEK.COM DOT AU>
(Thu, 26
Mar 1998 09:28:42 +1000)

Hi,

>When I read your solution I thought it was brilliant in its simplicity.
>Then I read the "ADSM for MVS Admin Guide" under the heading "Assigning
>Random Access Storage Pools".  The full text of this section of the
>manual says
>        "Volumes in random access storage pools must be predefined."
>
>Unfortunately, unless you can demonstrate an error in the documentation
>or a recent change, it would appear that you cannot allocate scratch
>volumes to disk-based storage pools.

Actualy you can, if you use FILE device class instead of DISK. You can use a
FILE stgpool in the same way you use a SEQUENTIAL stgpool, including use of
collocation and reclamation.

I just don't know if it is that necessary/useful to migrate one storage pool
to several other.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,