ADSM-L

Re: ADSM NT Client v3.0 crashing

1998-03-25 10:54:44
Subject: Re: ADSM NT Client v3.0 crashing
From: Tony White <tony.white AT GTRI.GATECH DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:54:44 -0500
Liz,

        I haven't got any direct experience with your brand/model of system, but
this problem smells strongly of a DLL skew problem.  I've already made
another post to the list just today (Subject: Re: mcf42.dll - where does it
come from?) covering a bit about DLL problems.  DLL skew can cause very
subtle and frustrating problems; if you have multiple copies of the
same-named DLL file on your system, then the problem can come and go
unpredictably.

        Check the versions of DLLs used by ADSM client, then see if other copies
of those same-named files are *anywhere* on your system.  Especially if the
same-named files have different versions.  If so, prune all files such that
only one instance of these common DLL files exists, in the Windows or
Windows\System32 dirs.  Test ADSM and other apps.  Try to keep the newest
version of the DLLs that is very close to what ADSM installs, but allows
your other applications to work also.

        Tell me if you need any help, or I didn't explain well enough.

Tony
=============================
At 02:02 PM 3/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>I apologize if this is an obvious question, I am new to ADSM and this
>situation has baffled us.
>
>I have a Compaq Deskpro 5100 XL with 32M RAM running WinNT 4.0.  I have
>installed the ADSM NT client repeatedly, but it crashes almost every time I
>try to run the backup client.  Sometimes I get a standard blue screen,
>sometimes I get a blue screen announcing a hardware error.  I have
>completely reinstalled NT and run the hardware diagnostics routines and
>nothing helps.  There is no consistant element in the crashes, sometimes it
>happens after 200 files, sometimes after 500, 1500, there are no rules.  I
>checked with the server manager and he fixed a space problem that announced
>itself in the middle of this, but all he sees is my client terminating the
>backup session.  To my knowledge no other machine in our department is
>having this problem.
>
>I am just about ready to send it out and have someone take it apart but I
>thought I would ask if anyone else has encountered anything similar.
>Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Liz Karl
>The University of Chicago

Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
GTRI Computer Coordinator                    (404) 894-8157     fax: 894-9337
GT/GTRI/AIST, Atlanta, GA  30332-0816

"Optimist:  a Yugo owner with a trailer hitch."