ADSM-L

Novell Client

2015-10-04 18:00:06
Subject: Novell Client
From: owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/23/98 6:35PM
First, in my copy of the ADSM manual for Novell (v2) - the abbreviation=
 for
SCHEDULE is SCH.  Unlike some products, ADSM seems to only use either t=
he
full command or the exact short form - nothing in between.  Since you s=
ay
that the backup is running, then the client must be taking this form, b=
ut I'd
be careful.  Check for the existence of a file in the ADSM directory ca=
lled
DSMSCHED.LOG - it should also contain the messages that go to the ADSM
screen.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "background" in a Novell environm=
ent.
The ADSM scheduler, at least in on V3.x Novell machine, starts another =
task
window.  I get mine to start by adding the LOAD DSMC SCHEDULE command t=
o the
autoexec.ncf file, so it is started when the server is started.  You wi=
ll
also need to add -pas=3Dxxxxx to handle the password prompt so that who=
ever
starts NetWare doesn't miss the password prompt and leave ADSM hanging.=

Lastly, I generally add an administrative command to change the client'=
password back to itself periodically.  This eliminates the potential fo=
r an
expired password to stop ADSM processing.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

______________________________ Forward Header _________________________=
_________
Author:  owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
Date:    3/23/98 6:35 PM

Hello ADSMers,

I have just begun to work with a Novell client and cannot figure out ho=
to load the scheduler in the background.  Also, the client in remote, s=
I'm depending on someone else to enter the commands.  We;ve tried:

        LOAD DSMC SCHED

The schedule kicks off but all the output goes to the console.  Please
help.

Thanks.
--
Ray Pratts