ADSM-L

Re: RAID & ADSM

1998-03-23 11:00:12
Subject: Re: RAID & ADSM
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:00:12 -0500
We have 3 ADSM servers, AIX V2.1.5.13, all 3 are on RS6000 J30's.

One uses internal hard disks, the other two have the data base, logs,
and some storage pools on STK 9131 disk configured as RAID-5.

I don't know of any Do's or Don'ts for RAID disk that are any different
from using any other type of disk.  Your results will depend on your
overall hardware configuration and workload.

*       In many RAID implementations, cache in the disk units makes
access to the RAID disks faster than to a standard internal hard disk.

*       However, in some RAID implementations, especially in cheaper
ones that are short on cache, there is a WRITE penalty that makes
writing to a RAID unit slower than writing to a standard internal hard
disk.

*       If your RAID disk is faster than your internal non-RAID disk,
but your SCSI bus is overloaded, you will still have slower net access
times.

So, unfortunately, the answer is "it depends".  It depends totally on
what kind of RAID disk you bought.

Now with RAID you should certainly have more protection for the data
base.  I sleep easier at night knowing my data base is on RAID.  There
have been several discussion threads on the list about whether RAID is
enough protection - I think the general answer is that IBM still
recommends mirroring the data base.  I personally don't mirror the data
base on RAID, but I do run in roll-forward mode and mirror the recovery
log.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert