ADSM-L

Netware:long filenames

1998-03-18 13:01:00
Subject: Netware:long filenames
From: Matthias Brasch <M.Brasch AT HEW DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:01:00 +0100
Hi ADSM'ers

I know this question has been on the list in former
times, but until now I'm not aware of an solution.
I'm using ADSM V3.1 on OS390 with a lot of
client plattforms. I've got an problem with
long filenames on Netware4.11-servers which I backup
with ADSM. We are moving our client-os from Win3.11 to WinNT4.0
and our users more an more use long filenames ( longer than 8.3 ).
When restoring this files I can't identify them exactly.
A filename 'my_nice_file' is shown as 'my_nice0' on the
dsmc-Rconsole-window. That would be no problem, but what to do
when you have another file 'my_nice_bla_bla' ( shown as 'my_nice1' ) ?
How can I know which is which.
Restoring whole dir-trees via wildcard works fine, the files and dirs
come back whith the complete (long) name !
Thats what I can't understand, ADSM is able to restore long files,
but why can't those be shown in an 'q backup' ore 'restore -pick'
command ??

My question to the others is :

 - German-IBM-support tells me that this is an NetWare-problem, is this
true ?

 - How do You work whith this situation, are there any bypasses ?

 - Does anyone know if a change ( ptf ) is planned ?

best regards,

Matthias Brasch, HEW-Hamburg, Germany