ADSM-L

Question about "Nodename" parameter

1998-03-17 00:29:23
Subject: Question about "Nodename" parameter
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:29:23 -0600
Greetings,
        This list is a big help.  My thanks to all you who contribute.

If this question has been discussed lots of times, just point me
to the archives, and I will get the answer myself, but I took this
to IBM ADSM Level 1, and they told me I was not experiencing a bug,
but ADSM was "working as designed".

I am trying to get "passwordaccess generate" to work on a node called
"father".  When I put "nodename father" in the client options file
it doesn't work.  I get an error when I bring up 'dsmc' that says
the nodename *can't* be the same as the actual node name.  Why is
there any such restriction?  Why can't I call the node what I
want?

But as if that wasn't strange enough, when I take the "nodename"
line completely out, the client 'dsmc' comes up fine, and uses the
actual node name of the node, just like I wanted to do originally.
Why does this inconsistancy exist?

The reason I care is that "passwordaccess generate" doesn't seem to
work unless you leave the "nodename" line out.  If you specify a
nodename other than the real nodename of the machine in the "nodename"
line, the "passwordaccess generate" line in the systems option file
seems to be ignored.  Does anybody know why that is?

I have been helping out at a company who uses nodenames other than
the real machine nodename because they always thought they had to.
They have these nodenamed embedded in scripts and it would be a real
pain to change it all now.  But they would like "passwordaccess
generate" to work, otherwise they have to imbed passwords in a script
to bring up the client, which is not too cool.

I am running the latest 2.1 client, (and server, too, if that matters).

Thanks in advance,
John Schneider

* John D. Schneider     * Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556 *
* 275 Axminister        * Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine*
* Fenton, MO 63026      * and mine alone.  My company is off the hook.*