ADSM-L

Several questions:

1998-03-16 08:19:41
Subject: Several questions:
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT CORNPONE.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:19:41 -0500
Greetings, all: I've collected a few unrelated questions, which I'll toss
among the pirhanna:

We're using server 2.1 on RS/6000, V2 and V3 clients.

Reclamation volume?

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that I can define a "reclamation volume
group" which will be used as temp space for reclamation, thus obviating the
need to play hopscotch with existing volumes if my pool is full.  Am I
misremembering?  Where do I _set_ this, as opposed to just seeing a display?
Is it a V3 thing?

Odd communications failures?

Occasionally, my admin interface (the GUI on win95, the GUI on sun solaris,
command line on the server, etc... All of them, not just one) refuses to
return on (most commonly) a query stgpool or update  stgpool.  After that,
_all_ client sessions will hang on _all_ attempts to query libvolumes,
stgpools, etc..

Additionally, I can't cancel any of the sessions so hung; I can 'q sess' and
list them, and I can 'cancel sess' and get what appears to be a successful
response, but the session is still there when I query again.

Low reclamation thresholds?

Is ADSM smart enough to reclaim to an empty volume?  Is it smart enough to
reclaim to _several_ partially full volumes? I'm not thrilled with 50%
reclamation thresholds: I can have a half-unused pool with no space left in
it.  I'd much prefer 10% or such, but that's dependant on ADSM being smart
enough to split the good data amongst other volumes.  When I first initiated
this shrink of thresholds, my server was just mounting one full volume after
another as potential destinations for reclaimed files, and even after I had
completely emptied several volumes, it was still trying to mount full ones...

Session logjams?

We currently have an optical library as our first storage pool, so we have at
most four (N=number of drives) sessions actually streaming at a time.  We're
planning on adding 20 or so gig of disk to serve as an initial landing-place
so we can dump more clients faster.  Is ADSM smart enough to make some sort of
estimation of client backup size, so as not to create a bottleneck of dozens
of simultaneous backups to my landing pad, or will I need to manually decrease
the number of allowed client sessions?

Well, I guess that's sufficient for one busrt.  :)

-Allen S. Rout