ADSM-L

Re: DDS2/DDS3 Capacity questions

1998-03-11 11:02:58
Subject: Re: DDS2/DDS3 Capacity questions
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:02:58 GMT
Replying to: Stephan Rittmann <rittmann1 AT IBM DOT NET> (Tue, 10 Mar 1998
10:42:59
-0100)
>Hi again,
>Hi again,
>maybe my question days ago (see end of mail) was confused. So I want to
>ask it again in other words.
>How can I find out the amount of data was written to a adsm tape after
>the tape was marked full.
>I think that the value from the ESTIMATED CAPACITY field is not true. I
>used DAT Tapes with DDS2 and DDS2C format. After filling up both tapes
>had nearly the same ESCAP value from aprox. 3.8 GB. I thought that the
>value for DDS2C must br near 8 GB.
>I got the same result when I used DDS3 and DDS3C (aprox. 12 GB)

The value of Estimated Capacity is exactly that, estimated. It depends on
the compresability of data and it compression is done by the client or by
the divice. Remember that ESTCAP is the amount of bytes actualy passed to
the device. If you use client compression and te client compresses data by
50%, ESTCAP on a DDS2C will be near 4GB, since the device can't compress it
further.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,