ADSM-L

Re: ADSM wishes (Was: The "incremental forever" paradigm)

1998-03-10 10:39:08
Subject: Re: ADSM wishes (Was: The "incremental forever" paradigm)
From: David Hendrix <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:39:08 -0700
Rui Malheiro wrote:

> Replying to: David Hendrix <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM> (Mon, 9 Mar 1998
> 14:18:22
> -0700)
>
> >(Actually, my one major beef with ADSM is not doing parallel streaming
> >to tapes.  Allow multiple client streams to one device - only from the
> >same client - for better utilization of devices.  This would not
> >interfere with restores or any other process [limit it to collocated
> >storagepools only].  Almost all vendors now do this.  This is very
> >important for DB backups.  Jim Reil and I have discussed this, but I
> >don't think I'll see it my ADSM lifetime.)
>
> I'd like to see some implementation of "distributed" backup. Something like
> client devices, centralized database. Server to server gives some field to
> play here, but it's not a real distributed backup solution.
>
> Client devices would allow for great reduction in network traffic, whe were
> working with large clients (mainly databases) or slow lines.
>
> This would lead to anoyther wish: Distributed ADSM database 8-)
>
> --
> Rui Malheiro,
> 6 Mil - Tecnologias de Informacao

Rui,

Agree totally.  We are seeing so many 100GB+ databases here that these
types of features would help tremendously.  I will have 17 servers and
100's of large clients by the end of April and I cannot wait for
enterprise console...

David

--
Character Density: the number of very weird people in the office.
Character Density: the number of very weird people in the office.