ADSM-L

Re: Data Base Reduction assistance required.... :-(

1998-03-09 17:18:55
Subject: Re: Data Base Reduction assistance required.... :-(
From: Claudia Masters <cmaster1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:18:55 -0600
This is an IBM response to a similar problem I'd reported.  I think it
helps explain
about the DB.

The ADSM Server database has a b-tree organization with internal refrences
to index nodes and siblings.  The database grows sequentially from the
beginning to end, and pages that are deleted internally are re-used later
when
new information is added.  The only utility that can compress the database
so
that "gaps" of deleted pages are not present is the database dump/load
utility.
After extensive database deletion occurrs, due to expiration processing or
filespace/volume delete processing, pages in the "middle" of the space
allocated for the database may become free, but pages closer to the
beginning
or end of the database still allocated.  To reduce the size of your
database sufficient
free pages must exist at the end of the linear database space that is
allocated
over your database volumes.  A database dump followed by a load will remove
free pages from the beginning of the database space to minimize free space

fragmentation and may allow the database size to be reduced.

Request 961007122512 has been entered into our requirements database to
request the development of a utility that would compress fragmented free
space
and allow your server database to be reduced without affecting server
availability.
We will consider this requirement for a future ADSM release.

Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM> on 03/09/98 10:55:36