ADSM-L

Oracle & 3rd party backup products

1998-03-09 12:14:21
Subject: Oracle & 3rd party backup products
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:14:21 -0500
>>From what I understand, Oracle has stated that they will no longer support
>>'third-party' hot backup products!
We have confirmed with Oracle about this.
 What Oracle means by 'third-party' hot backup products
 is that vendors who go into  oracle database and modify
 the oracle databases.  In other words, it applies to vendors
 who do not use the Oracle specified API.
 ADSMConnect Agent uses Oracle defined API.
 Thus, above statement does not apply to vendor like ADSM.

>>I believe Oracle has taken this stance due to the fact that
>> Oracle 8 will provide a much more robust EBU module.
It is true that Oracle is dropping EBU in Oracle8 but EBU
will be there as long as Oracle7 is supported.
Recovery Manager(RMAN) is included with O8.
 RMAN supports almost most of the EBU functions plus much more.

Thiha Than
IBM