ADSM-L

Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm,Was: How would you do this?

1998-03-06 15:09:26
Subject: Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm,Was: How would you do this?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:09:26 -0500
>Not only have I had media fail in two instances (1 old 9 track, 1 DAT), =
>but I have also had an engineer working on the tape silo drop and =
>shatter a valuable backup.  My vote is against incremental forever, =
>especially in light of some of the earlier postings.

Again, exploit ADSM facilities to provide as much safeguard comfort as you
desire: use BAckup STGpool, which you can output to multiple copypools in
succession if your needs so require.  Depending upon full backups does not
provide more comfort if that engineer just as readily destroys your full
backup tape.  And don't forget that there are kits and techniques which allow
you to physically recover tape from a damaged cartridge shell or broken leader
as an expedient.
                      Richard Sims, BU