ADSM-L

Using new tapes

1998-03-06 10:16:38
Subject: Using new tapes
From: "Smith, Richard" <smithrr AT MARITZ DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:16:38 -0600
ADSMer's,

        I could really use some help... First the specifics

Server: OS/390 V3R1
Clients: NT 4.0, 3.5.1, Novell 4.x, Sun Solaris, UNIX

        We just switch the type of tape we are using.  We were using
3490 tapes, and now we are using 3490E tapes.  Last night was the first
night using them, and I see a couple of problems.  First, I believe
3490E tapes are supposed to be able to hold approximately 2 GB per cart.
However, looking at the tapes we used last night, there are only three
carts that come near or over 2 GB.  Most of the tapes show an estimated
capacity somewhere between 800 - 900 MB.  There are some that are
higher, and some lower.  We also noticed that ADSM seemed to use a new
tape for every process.  It looked like it would write just a little
data on the tape, and when a new process started, it grabbed a new tape.

        I guess these are my questions:

1.  How do we let ADSM know the tapes should hold approximately 2 GB
each?

2.  Why is ADSM using a new tape each process instead of writing until
the           tape is full?

        Thanks in advance for any help!!

Thanks,
Rick Smith