ADSM-L

JFS x AIX mirrored raw devices

1998-03-05 15:38:21
Subject: JFS x AIX mirrored raw devices
From: Armando Lemos <ARMANDO.LEMOS AT DEUBA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 15:38:21 -0500
Dear IBM (and ADSMers):

Although I know IBM usually answer to only some of the postings, I have got
this from the ADSM V3 ADMIN guide and I do not know whether everybody is really
aware of its impact :

The problem is stated at page 313, Chaper 16 ( managing database and recovery
log) when considering a RAW device and AIX mirroring to the DATA stgpools. ADSM
and AIX uses the DATA area ( the first 512 byte-block of the raw device as a
control area) :  ".... If AIX overwrites ADSM control information when raw
volumes are mirrored, ADSM may not be able to vary the volume online. "

I am interested in the "may not be able" and if it is a real " DO NOT USE
RAW-MIRROR-AIX together for data stg"

Anyone who also has a good tecnhical explanation to the problem is welcome to
comment on this.

PS: Could you also send a copy directly to my e-mail. I am running the digested
form of the list.
armando.lemos AT deuba DOT com

Thanks in Advance.

Armando.