ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Server Backup

1998-03-05 12:12:31
Subject: Re: Exchange Server Backup
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:12:31 -0600
Jim,

  Here is a note that discusses the options for MS exchange backups.  The
ADSM ConnectAgent is due 03/31, so this may be an option if your customers
can wait a short time.
The options listed below only address using ADSM as the storage repository,
there are obviously other alternatives.

Dan T.

Mark,

  The ADSM ConnectAgent for Exchange is something a lot of us are waiting
on with bated breath.  It is due 1st quarter '98.  There is a ADSM
teleconference on 02/25 and I am hoping (without having any inside info)
that they will announce the date then.

Currently, you have 2 options.  Purchase Seagates BackupExec and it's ADSM
and Exchange modules.  BackupExec uses Exchange's APIs to access the
Exchange DB and can access ADSM as a virtual tape drive.

The second option is to stop Exchange nightly and invoke ADSM backups of
the files.  This is not a bad interim solution.  If you have extra hard
drive space on your exchange servers, then you can drop Exchange, copy the
files to another local hard drive, start Exchange and then use ADSM to
backup the copies.  This is handy as you can do a really fast recovery of
Exchange to the last backup version.

Good luck,
  Dan T.