ADSM-L

Re: ADSM "How to supervise?"

1998-03-03 08:46:23
Subject: Re: ADSM "How to supervise?"
From: "Moir,Betsy" <Betsy.Moir AT LN.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:46:23 -0600
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by how to "supervise" the clients, but
here's some of the things we do to "keep an eye on them" and their daily
progress.

We have accounting turned on and run REXX Execs against the accounting
information to create daily reports on which clients backed up how many bytes
at what time of day, etc.

We have several execs that execute ADSM queries to create reports showing any
client that hasn't initiated ADSM contact with the server in over 30 days (or
however many days), or filespaces, or anything else you might do a query on
from the command line.

Occasionally we change our own options file to mimic the client node and do
research "as the client".  This, of course, requires us knowing their
password or getting that information from them.

We have other execs that run on a scheduled basis to check the activity log
for error messages indicating an almost full database or log, an almost full
DASD volume, etc.

ADSM itself doesn't offer a lot of tools for supervising (although there are
supposed to be some additional tools in version 3), so it's necessary to get
a little creative with querying accounting information and activity logs.

Hope this helps.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 03/03/98 07:29:21 AM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET