ADSM-L

Re: V3 Client - option set errors

1998-03-02 14:31:05
Subject: Re: V3 Client - option set errors
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 14:31:05 -0500
In <0EP7B7HLC003YI AT mb2.draper DOT com>, on 03/02/98
   at 11:54 AM, Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT draper DOT com> said:

>In <199803021455.JAA04597 AT fern.us.pw DOT com>, on 03/02/98
>   at 09:54 AM, "John W. Stephens"
><John_W_Stephens AT NOTES.PW DOT COM> said:

>>Has anyone experienced the ADSM client version 3 Gui
>>generating a Fault when the client node has been assigned
>>an Option Set with the Include statement.

>>Example:

>>My node has an option set assigned called option1.   The
>>option1 set has the following include statement,
>>c:\mydoc\*.*

>>When ever the client runs the version 3 gui and the backup
>>process gets to this include statement it errors out with a
>>Page fault error.  If the same include line is used in the
>>DSM.opt file and no option set is assigned  everything
>>works fine.   I am using the newest Version 3  client
>>available.

>>Thanks for any help
>>John Stephens
>>813-222-6221

>I just started testing client option sets today and
>experienced the same problem immediately with the OS/2
>client.  The gui abends but the cmdline client works.  I
>also noticed that once you update a node to use a clioptset
>you can't set it back not to use a clioptset. I created an
>empty clioptset and updated the node to use it. This
>restored the gui client function.

>I have called this in to IBM.

I have receive a response from IBM already!  This is a know
problem and should be fixed in the client refreshes due at
the end of the month. the apar is IX75168.  Here is the apar
text.
- - begin apar text - - -
 APAR Identifier ...... IX75168       Last Changed..98/02/13

  WIN32 BIT & OS2 GUI BACKUP FAILS WHEN CLIENT OPTION SET IS
  FORCED (INCLEXCL) FROM THE SERVER

  Symptom ...... AB ABEND             Status ...........
CLOSED  PER
  Severity ................... 2      Date Closed .........
98/02/13
  Component .......... 565511904      Duplicate of ........
  Reported Release ......... 31A      Fixed Release
............ 999
  Component Name ADSM AIX V4 CLI      Special Notice
  Current Target Date ..              Flags
  SCP ................... AIXRSC
  Platform ............ AIX

  Status Detail: Not Available

  PE PTF List:

  PTF List:
  Release 31A   : PTF not available yet
  Release 31B   : PTF not available yet

  Parent APAR:    IC19501
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  If user is using the Client Option Set (INCLEXCL) and is
forced
  on to the client by the server, win32 & OS/2 backup
terminates
  when the option (example: Include D:\xxxx\fff) is valid.
The
  include statement validity may vary from node to node and
does
  not terminate the GUI if option is not valid. Program will
  generally terminate with an Access Violation error.
  Node option parameter: CLOPTSET

  LOCAL FIX:
  Don't force include/exclude options from the server to the
node.

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  * USERS AFFECTED: All GUI b/a client
*
  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: GUI backup fails when client option
set *
  *                      is forced from the server.
*
  * RECOMMENDATION: Upgrade to PTF 3 or higher when
available    *

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
  The routine which gets client's option set from the server
did
  not correctly assign any appropriate management class. - -
end apar text - - -
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
Draper Lab