ADSM-L

Tape drive sharing

1998-02-26 17:48:11
Subject: Tape drive sharing
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:48:11 +1100
Hi,

We have a requirement to share our 3590 drives within a 3494 tape
library between multiple ADSM servers. I am trying to work out whether
or not the new mount limit management functions of ADSM V3 will help us.
Our ADSM servers are all on AIX 4.2.1. There are two different
configurations we are interested in using.

First, we have two AIX systems running ADSM server, both using the same
3494. All 8 drives are physically connected to both AIX systems.
Until now, the drives allocations have been quite static; any given
drive is only configured to one ADSM system at a time. We occasionally
move drives around by decrementing the mount limit on one ADSM server,
delete a drive definition, define the drive on the other ADSM server,
and then increase the mount limit. All works fine. What we are
interested in doing is having all 8 drives defined on both ADSM servers
all of the time, and letting the automatic mount limit monitoring take
care of things. Is this going to work?

Second, we are looking at having two instances of the ADSM server
running on the same AIX box. Can we automatically share the drives
connected to the AIX box between the two instances?

Trevor