ADSM-L

New ADSM admin - Two questions

1998-02-26 16:56:00
Subject: New ADSM admin - Two questions
From: Tony White <tony.white AT GTRI.GATECH DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:56:00 -0500
Hello, everyone!

I'm new to the list, and will be the initial ADSM administrator for my
site.  We are about to start running ADSM for AIX v3.1, with clients
running v3.1 backup/archive clients on NT 4.0 and Windows 95.

First question:  In order to not bug you all unnecessarily, is there an FAQ
file I can get to with FTP, Gopher, or WEB?  Mailing lists, like
newsgroups, don't need to be bugged by newbies until they have gone to the
limits of self-education.  I've gone to the IBM Web and FTP sites, and I
don't see much.  The FAQ there is dated April 97 and doesn't even mention
Windows NT 4.0 .

        I'm starting to work my way through the on-line ADSM manuals from IBM,
and
the client install/usage manuals are mind-numbingly repetitive and have
little or no platform-specific information.  For example, no mention of
handling multiple users on an NT client, no mention of security concerns on
NT, etc.  But it did, alarmingly, state that the ADSM client on an NT
client *must* be run by user Administrator or a user in the Administrators
group.  This would make ADSM unacceptable in our environment - we control
our end-users tightly, and not one is allowed Administrator's privileges.
Sure, the scheduler obviously should run as a service, installed by
Administrator - but any user should be able to run the backup/archive
client for restores....

So, the second question: On a Windows NT 4.0 client, is it necessary to
have Administrator privs to run the v3.1 client backup/archive program?

Thanks everyone for your patience, and feel free to simply direct me to any
on-line references instead of taking up valuable time rehashing common ADSM
knowledge!

Tony
Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
GTRI Computer Coordinator                    (404) 894-8157     fax: 894-9337
GT/GTRI/AIST, Atlanta, GA  30332-0816

"A bachelor is a man who never makes the same mistake once."