ADSM-L

Update copygroup question

2015-10-04 18:01:07
Subject: Update copygroup question
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 2/24/98 9:00AM
You are correct and I was wrong :-(

I did some research and tests here, and found some things I am not quite
comfortable with.  I set up an Archive copygroup with 10 days retention,
archived a file, then changed the copygroup to 30 days, and then activated
the changes.  Sure enough, the file now had a 30 day retention.  I checked
my
V2 manuals, and the Update Copygroup command says that the changes are
applied to all files bound to this class.  This is consistent with what I
found, and what you pointed out.

I am not quite sure this is what a user expects - I personally expect that
if
I archived something with a set retention, then it would be there for that
period of time, unless it was specifically deleted.  As this stands, if I
have a long retention file, and someone changes the Archive copygroup
associated with this file to a short one, my file may already be past
expiration - I would therefore assume that it would be deleted when the new
copygroup is activated.  (I couldn't test this on short notice).  Does
anyone
agree here, or do you think the rebinding of the files is OK (especially
since it is consistent with the "binding of files" to a MC.)

The other issue here was the new V3 Win32 client - when I went to test the
scenario, I found that the new client does not give you any way of finding
out what is ready to expire - there is no longer a Query by expiration date
as there was with the V2 client (I actually tested on a V2 Windows 3.1
client.)  It would seem to me to be a valued part of the V2 client that has
been lost - I know I have on more than one occasion done a search for files
that were about to be expired from the Archive, then retrieved the files I
wanted and re-archived them to extend their "life".  Reinhard, you pointed
out a way to do this, but it is cumbersome at best and requires that the
customer be aware of the date a file was archived and what the period of
archive is currently.  If he or she is unaware of this, they might be
missing
something. I would think that the old format of query by expiration date
range is something that is needed.  Again - does anyone agree?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    2/24/98 9:00 AM

Jerry,

I think, the change also applies to the files already archived.

Actually, I just took a look at the SQL table layout in V3: the expiration
date is not stored in the ARCHIVES table; it hence has to be calculated
from the ARCHIVE_DATE field and the mgmt class.

--
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet