ADSM-L

List status and other stuff

1998-02-25 14:33:50
Subject: List status and other stuff
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:33:50 EST
Jim's right, I'm out at SHARE this week.  However, I have been checking
on my systems and e-mail regularly and have found nothing out of the
ordinary.  Traffic on the ADSM-L list has been lighter than usual, but
I think that is due to many of us being in Anaheim.  If you are having
trouble, send me a note directly as I might not read the list mail for
several days.

I'd also like to mention that several people have been doing "battle" with
IBM to try and get ADSM v3 for VM.  At this point, it does not seem likely.
However, the reasons appear to be more political than technical.  Several
ADSM on VM customers are in the process of making a case to IBM that this
application is what is keeping IBM processors in their shop and that the
non-existance of a v3 server for VM will mean that they will eventually
move to non-IBM solutions.  This would mean, not only the loss of revenue
for VM, but the loss of S/390 and other hardware revenue as well.

I know that there are a number of ADSM on VM customers on this list.  I would
encourage you to examine its value to your company, and its value to IBM
in terms of revenue from you.  Then, let your IBM reps know about it.  Feel
free to post it on this list as well.  I'll get some names of people in the
S/390 division that ought to hear it too.  Those of us at SHARE are in a
serious fight over this and every voice that is heard will help.

Martha