ADSM-L

Re: Notes Agent / Application database vs mail

1998-02-19 09:28:02
Subject: Re: Notes Agent / Application database vs mail
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:28:02 +0100
>We are implement Notes on NT 4.0 servers. The backup traffic has greatly
>increased. Looks like many .NSF (systems)  files along with user mail (.NSF
>also) are backup'd each night. The Notes Agent allows document only backup
>without  grabbing the entiring database. How does it handle 'mail' files? Does
>it treat all .NSF files the same?

Thomas,

My exposure to Notes has ended before I came into contact with ADSM, so I
cannot answer Your questions regarding the benefits of the ADSM Notes Agent.

Regarding Your question above: The Notes files that contain the mails that
Notes users receives are regular Notes databases, and the mails are stored
as Notes documents within them.

HTH - Alfred Novacek

>Notes has a nightly admin process that modifies the timestamp on many critical
>system NSFs so ADSM regards that as a change and a back of the same (large)
>files occurs  each night. Im a new user to the Agent as you can see! I have it
>onsite but not installed yet. I have the use of it divided this way
>
>1. Install it on a large Notes apps servers we have (intranet). These are
>local
>servers and I can see the immediate gain with the Agent!
>
>2. Install it on our Notes mail server(s). Some of the Mail servers are
>processed by ADSM over a Wide arean network by data transfer rate/traffic is a
>major concern!! Right now ADSM is trying to send each mail file
>/Notes/data/mail/*.NSF over the Wan to my ADSM/AIX servers in it entirety.
>Willl the Agent really help here? How would I recover a mail file using the
>Agent. Right now I recover the *.NSF file and replicate it in whole back to it
>its proper server/directory..

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at