ADSM-L

Re: How to import a filespace and reattribute to node?

1998-02-18 10:59:21
Subject: Re: How to import a filespace and reattribute to node?
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:59:21 -0500
In <199802181439.JAA200436 AT acs3.bu DOT edu>, on 02/18/98
   at 09:39 AM, Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> said:

>>How about  "RENAME NODE N1 N2" ?

>That won't work because N2 already exists, being the node
>to which it is desired to add the imported filespace.
>(Attempting it gets error "ANR2147E RENAME NODE: Node N2 is
>already registered.")

>Alas, filespace portability is prohibitively restricted in
>ADSM, making it a major hassle to migrate data from one
>server node's ownership to another.          Richard Sims,
>Boston University

I agree that it is very hard to move a filespace from one
node to another and this would be a nice enhancement.  When
I have had to do it, I used a node name & export method.

If you can find a time period when both n1 & n2 don't need
access to adsm, you could do the following.

1. rename n2 n2_real
2. rename n1 n2
3. export node n2 filed=all filespace=<name> etc. 4. rename
n2 n1
5. rename n2_real n2
6. import etc.
7. del fi n1 <name>