ADSM-L

Re: Include in Incremental

1998-02-12 09:34:06
Subject: Re: Include in Incremental
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:34:06 -0500
INCLUDE is used as *one* of the criteria for determining whether the file is
eligible for backup. In the case of incremental backup, this will not guarantee
that the file will be backed up every time. By the way, if the file does not
meet any of your INCLUDE or EXCLUDE criteria, then it will be implicitly
included. So no, you will not necessarily be backing up only what is in the
INCLUDE list.

If you need to *always* back up certain files during incremental backup,
regardless of whether they've changed, then you can create a special management
class with a backup copygroup that provides this. In the copygroup definition,
set the MODE to ABSOLUTE. Then use an INCLUDE statement to bind the files to
this management class. For example, if you need all files in C:\PROD to be
backed up every night regardless of whether they've changed, then you might
code an INCLUDE statement that looks like this:

INCLUDE   C:\PROD\*   EVERY_NIGHT

or

INCLUDE   C:\PROD\...\*   EVERY_NIGHT

Note that my first example covers only those files directly under C:\PROD, and
my second example covers all file in C:\PROD *and* its subdirectories.
EVERY_NIGHT is the name of the management I created that has the ABSOLUTE mode
in the backup copygroup.

If you refer to the ADSM Administrator's Guide, check out the chapter on
"Managing Policies". There is a section in there called "File Eligibility for
Policy Operations" that tells you more about how a file's eligibility for
backup is determined.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support

 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU