ADSM-L

Re: ADSM V3 Performance and Schedlog Messages

1998-02-11 04:29:17
Subject: Re: ADSM V3 Performance and Schedlog Messages
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:29:17 +0000
We have upgraded only the (AIX 4.2.1) server (and a small number of
clients, so far) to Version 3 and have seen some fairly substanial gains
in throughput - which I think are mostly due to the benefits of file
aggregation.

To take advantage, you need to look at some server options (particularly
the TXN ones) :

  TxnGroupMax    256
  MoveBatchSize 1000

and to the client system option:

   TXNBytelimit  25600

(which are shown set to the maximum values).  For the client option, you
need to take into account the memory available, the network capabilty etc
and the implications if a transaction fails and is repeated (for whatever
reason).

The primary gains have been seen in server operations like BACKUP STG and
MIGRATION.  We have a profile with an average filesize of 80-120KB for site
backup data and we normally run 4 streams (3590) to do these operations.

We have seen almost a doubling of throughput (ballpark figures), which is
welcome, but still doesn't come close to driving 4 3590s in parallel to
full capacity.

We have seen INVENTORY EXPIRATION speed up, but it's still early days to
quantify that.

We have seen no evidence that client delivery of data improves.

We had hoped to see the server handle greater client concurrency - but so
far we haven't seen that.

Best wishes, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275