ADSM-L

Re: Dos Client for ADSM

1998-02-10 08:06:50
Subject: Re: Dos Client for ADSM
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 07:06:50 -0600
Greetings,
----------
> >I was a little concerned with a few files that could
> >I was a little concerned with a few files that could
> >not be backed up due to access denied messages.

Which files?  NTUSER.DAT is a common problem for id's logged on.  Running a
periodic backup of the current user's registry should resolve this.  The
registry files will fail, but you have a copy of these under adsm.sys, if
you have the backup registry parms set.

> Nothing to worry about.  You will have to manually reconfigure WINS
> and DHCP, however, since this stuff is stored in MSACCESS databases
> (as you know).  You can "work around" this problem by taking a copy of
> the DHCP and WINS databases as part of your daily "stop the services,
> jetpack, restart the services" procedure that is necessary in order to
> keep WINS and DHCP healthy and running for more than a few days at a
> time on a busy network.
Thanks for this info.  I, for one, will look into it.

> >I would like to eliminate the re-install of NT server. I want to
> >build a boot disk that can get me up and connected to ADSM. I then
> >want to restore the entire disk image of the drive. First am I crazy.

I wanted to eliminate this process as well, but found it to be the most
efficient.  I install a copy of NT on the d: drive and boot off of floppy
to this copy.  After getting the process down, I got the recovery to
complet in 43 minutes.  Booting from Dos and then running a convert on the
hard drive later runs the risk of some security data being lost.
Search back on the archives for disaster recovery and you will see a more
in-depth breakdown, including some info on the neat NTRecover product.

> >Second, have any of you seen a product called stack replica that
> >apparently boots up in dos and connects to the ADSM system. I am
> >assuming it uses the required IP stacks others have said are
> >necessary. The FE from IBM mentioned it but he wasn't sure where to
> >get the software from.

I have never heard of stack replica; please keep us informed.

> Firstly, there are two many files to be restored to be handled by DOS
> (though a v3 client/server should be able to do it).  Secondly, you
> cannot write NTFS from DOS.  You can boot a different copy of NT, but
> you will have problems with the changing SIDs when the backup is
> restored unles you are real careful.

Good advice.

> >I am busy looking for a copy of DOS 6.0 and the LANManager 2.1 and
> >2.2(we have it around here somewhere) but until I find it I would
> >like to see what others have tried on the NT backup situation.
>
> Have you looked on your NT 3.51 CD?  I don't know if it is on the NT
> 4.0 CDs as I don't look at them very often.

You should find it in the client support directories.  You will probably
have to make a boot/install disketted and then modify it.  I attempted to
do exactly what you are trying and could not get the ADSM DOS client to
work with the MS IP stack.  If you can, let please share this info so I
will feel less impeded.