ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 18:01:07

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
With the DOS client, you are not going to have NTFS file system support, or long file name support.

We asked those questions and decided that a written down, tested procedure for reinstalling NT would be safer and faster than all the reworking you would have to do with a DOS client (and we weren't even sure it was possible because of the NTFS issue.)

Even better, work at getting a second disk.  Then you can have a second copy of NT already installed there, and do the restore easily while booted from the second copy.

    ----------
    From:   Mark Evans[SMTP:MEvans AT co.slc.ut DOT us]
    Sent:   Monday, February 09, 1998 2:24 PM
    To:     ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
    Subject:        Dos Client for ADSM

    Thanks for all of the help on this....

    I wanted to further explain what I had in mind to see what you all
    thought.

    I need to get a good backup/restore procedure for NT 4.0 servers. We
    have taken a test machine and ran a full backup to ADSM. We then fdisked
    the machine/reinstalled NT server/restored from ADSM. This seemed to
    work. I was a little concerned with a few files that could not be backed
    up due to access denied messages.

    I would like to eliminate the re-install of NT server. I want to build a
    boot disk that can get me up and connected to ADSM. I then want to
    restore the entire disk image of the drive. First am I crazy. Second,
    have any of you seen a product called stack replica that apparently
    boots up in dos and connects to the ADSM system. I am assuming it uses
    the required IP stacks others have said are necessary. The FE from IBM
    mentioned it but he wasn't sure where to get the software from.

    I am busy looking for a copy of DOS 6.0 and the LANManager 2.1 and
    2.2(we have it around here somewhere) but until I find it I would like
    to see what others have tried on the NT backup situation.

    Mark L. Evans - MCSE
    mevans AT co.slc.ut DOT us
    Network Administrator
    Salt Lake County Information Services