ADSM-L

Re: selective vs incremental

1998-02-05 08:31:52
Subject: Re: selective vs incremental
From: "Moir,Elizabeth" <Betsy.Moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 07:31:52 -0600
First we work very, very hard trying to convince people that full backups
aren't necessary with ADSM, often failing.  But, our standard is to do only
incrementals on workstations and file servers, and then work with the
retention periods and management classes to make the clients feel comfortable
about getting the data they want back when they need it.   For
point-of-time-type data that they need to keep for a certain period of time,
such as financial, research or government data, we recommend archiving.

ADSM is very flexible in the retention possibilities and it is ever so much
more efficient to back up only data that has changed, both from a storage
viewpoint and a transfer standpoint.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 02/04/98 11:15:10 AM