ADSM-L

Re[2]: Receiving ANS1114I messages when doing backup.

2015-10-04 18:01:06
Subject: Re[2]: Receiving ANS1114I messages when doing backup.
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 2/3/98 3:38PM
Another possibility is that your dasd pool is almost full (perhaps at the
high migration threshold), and then a client tries to back up a file that is
bigger than the remaining free space in the pool.

I also *believe* (but am not completely certain) that the clients that are in
the process of backing up "reserve" space in the pool to handle what they are
currently doing.  Thus if you have 200MB free, and 3 clients active and
backing up files that total 180MB, then the effective free space is 20MB.
Another client coming in at this point could easily get sent to tape because
the file is too big.

This whole situation can be very serious if you don't have the tape drives to
support the backup in this situation - perhaps they are being used for the
migration, which turns this into Catch 22....  I remember seeing someone post
a question about getting a tape prompt during the backup - this whole thread
I think gives several reasons why this can happen.  The important thing on
the client end is to be sure to have TAPEPROMPT NO specified in the DSM.OPT
to insure that the client is waiting for the user to respond at 2 in the
morning!

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com