ADSM-L

3590 on RS/6000-J50

1998-02-03 05:36:37
Subject: 3590 on RS/6000-J50
From: Armando Lemos <ARMANDO.LEMOS AT DEUBA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 05:36:37 -0500
I have a RS/6000 model J50 with only the internal SCSI attached to port 7. I
also have a magstar 3590 unit tape.

I was wondering if anybody (specially IBM) could tell me if it is technically
"possible" to connect the 3590 on the intenal SCSI, via the external adapter
available.

I have already done this "workaround" on a J40 with a 3590. The only problem is
that I have to POWER_ON the J40 before, and then start the 3590 and run the
cfgmgr command. I know this is not the "recommended" way on connecting the
device.

As I am just testing the device, I would like to know whether I would
experience any problem with the J50 that could DAMAGE it, if I insist on
connecting the 3590.

IBM, your comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Armando Lemos
Deutsche Bank