ADSM-L

Re: STK 9710 without ACSLS

1998-01-31 12:34:32
Subject: Re: STK 9710 without ACSLS
From: Mackey Morgan <mmorgan AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:34:32 -0500
I too would like to know of any successful experiences with the 9710 DLT
library and how this was achieved. We have finally gotten it to work in a
limited fashion, but I can't imagine using it with this limited function as a
long term long term solution. Specifically, our problems are the following:
We can't get the CAP to work. Basically, nothing happened when we filled the
CAP with blank cartridges and issued the command LABEL LIBVOLUME. The robot
doesn't seem to scan for tapes in the CAP at all. Our only recourse was to open
the door and manually load cartridges into the library. The 9710 performed an
inventory check when the door was closed.
At this time, the LABEL LIBVOLUME command started working, but only used one
DLT tape drive at a time! It eventually hung when the robot tried to remove a
cartridge from a bad tape drive. We killed in and used the dsmlabel command to
get the library to employ all 7 drives for labeling tapes.
We have no way to export library volumes from the library, since we cannot seem
to get the CAP to work.
I would like to have some documentation for how/what the 9710 is supposed to be
able to perform using the adsm.devices device driver for ADSM server V3.1.0.1.

Subject: STK 9710 without ACSLS

Has anybody successfully implemented ADSM on AIX with an STK 9710 robot,
WITHOUT using ACSLS software?