ADSM-L

Re: db size

1998-01-25 12:00:12
Subject: Re: db size
From: Mackey Morgan <mmorgan AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:00:12 -0500
David,

Dallas is fine. Being back in Texas is great! Glad to hear you and Glen are
doing well in your new respective homes. One small problem, though. I think I
forgot to turn out the lights when I left Memphis!

I didn't get the implication you made about "lights out operation" with regard
to mksysbs. I understand ADSM's utility in backing up/managing the mksysb (or
Sysback) images, as they can be quite space consuming. Sysback has the nice
feature of providing a network boot capability for your clients as well. I
think Sysback's network boot capability is easier to maintain (ie. understand!)
than NIM. Anyway you slice it, whether network boot (available on most
systems), tape boot (N/A on all systems), or diskette boot (N/A on all
systems), the key is have some way to get the client system OS back up and
running...so that you can run the ADSM client code...so that you can restore
the best version of your data to the client system. The only other thought I
have about it is that the Sysback server and the ADSM server shouldn't be the
same box unless you've got a bootable tape drive to restore it from--you gotta
have some place that can always be recovered without the assistance of another
server, because that server may not be available when you need it most (ie. the
disaster scenario). If I missed your point about "lights out", then teach me
something. I need it.

Mackey Morgan
Internet:  mmorgan AT us.ibm DOT com

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 01-23-98 02:48:15 PM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ internet