ADSM-L

mirroring AIX ADSM servers

1998-01-25 05:09:23
Subject: mirroring AIX ADSM servers
From: Walter Ridderhof <ridderw AT XS4ALL DOT NL>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 11:09:23 +0100
A question for the ADSM AIX community:

In about 3 months the company I'm working for will have implemented 2
R50's functioning as multipurpose system management systems running
Tivoli TME 10 and ADSM services. The reason there are 2 machines is that
the whole must be very fault tolerant (high availability, 24 hour
support). The two machines will be placed half a kilometer apart and
connected thru fiber-optics. For the TME 10 part the system engineers
want to throw in HACMP for fault taulerance, consultants say it's been
done before, not easy, but can be done).

For the ADSM server configuration we were more thinking along the line
of  mirrored ADSM servers i.e. that the server in location 1 will
physically backup to hardware (IBM magstar tape-robots and ssa disks) at
location 2 and vica versa.
A setup like this doesn't really need HACMP, with the right procedures
in place you could very quickly fail-over the servers. Our main concern
is our in-experience with HACMP, we have a gut feeling HACMP will make
the configuration too complex and that some parts of the system will
trip over or won't even work with the three headed beast HACMP.

My question of course, has anyone had any experience with such a
configuration or have setup a similar configuration just for ADSM fault
tolerance.

Walter Ridderhof            Mainland Sequoia, Netherland