ADSM-L

queryschedperiod do not change

2015-10-04 18:02:07
Subject: queryschedperiod do not change
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/21/98 1:22PM
There are several options in effect here that are set at different places.

As someone pointed out, the 12 scheduleperiod is set in the server options
file.  It applies to all schedules, and sets the overall time to check again.

The retryperiod is set at the client options file - it applies to that client
only, and tells the client how long to wait before attempting to reconnect if
there is a failure.  Typically this is set to 20 Minutes (the default).

There is also the duration of a schedule, which is the amount of time during
which the schedule can run.  This is often referred to as the Window - the
default is 1 hour.

There is also a period of the schedule, which says "how long is it before the
schedule can repeat.  In other words, assuming successful completion, when
will it kick off again.  The default is 1 day.

The last 2 are set when the schedule is defined, and apply to all nodes
associated with this schedule.

The schedmode being used is independent of these parms - but it has a few
subtle influences on the process.

Examples:

I set up a schedule with a duration of 1 hour, (window) and a period of 1
day, scheduled start time is 10:00 PM.  It is 9:00 in the morning when I
start the client.  I will first see the "will retry again in 12 hours"
message if I am running in polling mode, but if I am in prompted mode, I will
just get a message saying that I have been contacted.  If I am in prompted
mode, at 10:00, the server will contact me, and the operation will start.

If I am in polling mode, I will come back in 12 hours (9:00 PM) and a time
will be negotiated for the actual backup - a randomized time into the 12 hour
window.  At that time, the client will contact the server, and the operation
will proceed.

In either case, if the session is broken somehow, the retrypeiod will come
into play - 20 minutes later the session will attempt to be restarted.  If
the 20 minute time is outside the window, then the backup will be scheduled
for the next period if in polling mode, or a 12 hour schedule retry will take
place.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    1/21/98 1:22 PM

Hello,

 we specifiy a schedperiod of 4 hours on the MVS server 3.1,
schedmode=any.

On our Netware clients V3.1, the schedmode is not set (polling by
default) et we do not specify queryschedmode.

Problem: the schedperiod is set by ADSM to 12 hours!! Is it normal?

Regards,

Rene Lambelet - *3543 - *A581
Nestec SA - 55, Av. Nestle - CH-1800 Vevey
Tel: ++41/21/924'35'43 / Fax: ++41/21/924'45'89
E-Mail: rene.lambelet AT nestle DOT com