ADSM-L

Re: Reduce network overload.

1998-01-21 18:17:51
Subject: Re: Reduce network overload.
From: John Tarella <gj_tarella AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 23:17:51 +0000
You would like to reduce the network load caused by ADSM backing up data. You
can do this by
lowering your service levels, how? This is the way I would go about it: Follow
the example:

You have 1000Gb of data to back up and 10% is modified daily. That gives you
100Gb/day
of data to back up. Compression is (kind of) irrelevant assuming 1:3
compression that would give
33Gb/day that could still be too mutch for your specific network. We will use
the 100Gb/day in our example.

Now, the above assumptions are based on the following "service levels":
Dear user, I will back up all your new and modified data once a day, every day.
These service levels translate to a management class that says, among other
things, frequency=0, that is
every time I see that the file has been changed I will back it up. If you
perform multiple incrementals
each day you will see the backup data volume and net use skyrocket for modified
files.

Let's change the "service level" to:
Dear user, I will back up you data in such a way that at most you will loose 3
days work, on average 1.5 days
work.
How? set the frequency in the management class to 3 and keep on running
incrementals every day.
ADSM will do the following: look at each and every file during the incremental,
determine if new or modified and as
such it becomes a candidate for backup, look at the frequency (3) value and
think:
IF do I have a backup for the file done <3 days ago? THEN skip the backup
ELSE perform the backup

So? What happens to network load? Statistics (and experience) says that the
100Gb modified translates to
100Gb/3=33Gb of data daily, sent over the network. Too much? Set frequency to 4
and you get 25Gb/day
and so on.

As a guy called Orwell said: All animals are equal but some are more equal than
others (CEOs for example)
You can define multiple management classes with different frequencies and use
the management class
with frquency=0 for animals belonging to the CEO species. Remember that
management classes are
assigned to files and groups of files using the INCLUDE/EXCLUDE statements in
the client options file.

Regards, Giulio John Tarella

Notes:John Tarella/Italy/IBM@IBMIT
Email: tarella AT ibm DOT net
Home page:  http://supporti.italy.ibm.com/home/tarella/tar.htm
ADSM home:  http://supporti.italy.ibm.com:8080/SUPPADSM.NSF?OpenDatabase
ADSM Consultant - Servizi e Supporto SW - Enterprise Servers