ADSM-L

Re: PROBLEMS WITH 4.3GB HARD DRIVE

1998-01-19 14:58:34
Subject: Re: PROBLEMS WITH 4.3GB HARD DRIVE
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:58:34 +0200
Tahir Mahmood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running ADSM V2R1 server on top of an OS/2 Warp Connect ver 3.0. The
> ADSM clients include three OS/2 WARP Servers and one Novell 3.12 server. On
> one of the OS/2 WARP server I have a 4.3 GB SCSI UW (SE) drive. All the
> other clients have hard drives of 2+ GB.
>
> The backup hierarchy is a 1GB Primary Stgpool which is migrated to an
> Exabyte 210 R tape library.
>
> The problem I am facing is that when I run an incremental backup schedule on
> these clients all the filespaces on the clients backup nicely except the 4.3
> GB one. The server having this 4.3 GB drive also has other 2 GB drives which
> backup ok. Whenever the schedule starts on the 4.3 GB drive the OS/2 traps
> out. To circumvent this problem I am at present running a number of
> selective schedules to capture a backup of the important directories on the
> 4.3 GB drive.
>
> The solution I am seeking should enable me to backup the entire 4.3 GB drive
> alongwith other filespaces in one go.
>
> Any help in this regard would be welcome !!
>
> Tahir M
> Network Analyst
> ALCATEL, Vancouver
> Canada

  What you could try doing is making use of the slowincremental option.
Maybe what you are dealing with is a lot of files and the system/adsm suffering
from this. The nature of the directory structure of file servers has been
discussed
in a lot of threads - I think the slowincremental option should sort out your
problem (using less memory for the backup).

If it still persists - give us some more detail.

Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA Group
Johannesburg