ADSM-L

Re: Removing/Reducing Client Authorizations in ADSM V2

1998-01-13 21:33:01
Subject: Re: Removing/Reducing Client Authorizations in ADSM V2
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:33:01 -0500
In <8625658B.007876AC.00 AT mutualofomaha DOT com>, on 01/13/98 at 04:21 PM,
   Dennis Schaffer <Dennis.Schaffer AT MUTUALOFOMAHA DOT COM> said:

>In our V1 environment, we ran several ADSM servers and used the
>'REGISTER LICENSE n' command to manage the number of clients
>authorized to connect to each server.  As requirements changed, we
>would periodically use this command (in addition to node definition)
>to rebalance the load between servers.  We would use this command to
>lower the number of authorized clients on one server and increase the
>number of clients on another server, being careful to ensure that the
>total number of client authorizations was maintained within our legal
>limit.

>In V2, however, it appears that REGISTER LICENSE has been changed in
>a way that only allows increasing the number of client
>authorizations.  That would prevent me from doing the balancing that
>I've been able to do in the past.

>Is that really the way V2 licensing works?  Does anyone know of any
>way to decrease the number of client authorizations?

In the ADSM Server directory there should be a file called NODELOCK
(plain text) which contains, top to bottom, the license keys of all
the licenses you have "installed" on that server.

To "uninstall" some licenses, simply shutdown the server, delete the
appropriate line from the NODELOCK file, and reapply it.  You should
be able to determine the appropriate line either because of the number
of repetitions (ie, most features you only register once, but you
might register a 10-pack of client licenses 5 times, hence having 5
duplicated lines in the file -- deleting 1 of the lines so only 4
remain will leave you with only 40 client licenses).

Keith Medcalf       (416) 410-5791       http://www.dessus.com/ IBM
OS/2, LAN Server, DB2, TCP/IP, DOS, Windows 95,  Windows NT
 Finger or email kmedcalf-pgp AT dessus DOT com for my PGP Public Key