ADSM-L

Removing/Reducing Client Authorizations in ADSM V2

1998-01-13 17:21:56
Subject: Removing/Reducing Client Authorizations in ADSM V2
From: Dennis Schaffer <Dennis.Schaffer AT MUTUALOFOMAHA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:21:56 -0600
I upgraded last year from ADSM V1 (OS/2) to ADSM V2 (NT) and have a
question regarding client license authorization.

In our V1 environment, we ran several ADSM servers and used the 'REGISTER
LICENSE n' command to manage the number of clients authorized to connect to
each server.  As requirements changed, we would periodically use this
command (in addition to node definition) to rebalance the load between
servers.  We would use this command to lower the number of authorized
clients on one server and increase the number of clients on another server,
being careful to ensure that the total number of client authorizations was
maintained within our legal limit.

In V2, however, it appears that REGISTER LICENSE has been changed in a way
that only allows increasing the number of client authorizations.  That
would prevent me from doing the balancing that I've been able to do in the
past.

Is that really the way V2 licensing works?  Does anyone know of any way to
decrease the number of client authorizations?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha