ADSM-L

Re: BAre Metal Restore on NT V4

1998-01-13 17:09:04
Subject: Re: BAre Metal Restore on NT V4
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:09:04 -0600
Jerry,

  I did not notice in your steps any reference to restoring any users
NTUSER.DAT files.  If a user is logged on when you back up normally, then
you will also have to copy that NTUSER.DAT file from the c:\adsm.sys
subdirectory.

However, the settings for ADSM, Excel etc. seems like a bigger problem than
this.  What were the date stamps on the files in adsm.sys?

FMI, why did you format the partition as FAT instead of NTFS again?  There
is a remote possibility you can lose some security control of certain of
the files.  Remote, in this case, because few people place extra security
on the system drive.

Dan T.
----------
> From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
> From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: BAre Metal Restore on NT V4
> Date: Tuesday, January 13, 1998 1:40 PM
>
> Date:     January 13, 1998              Time: 10:18 AM
> From:     Jerry Lawson
>           The Hartford Insurance Group
> (860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

-
-
> Yesterday I had the distinct joy and privilege of doing a bare metal
> Yesterday I had the distinct joy and privilege of doing a bare metal
restore
> on my C: drive under NT V4 Workstation.  I had planned ahead, and had a
> repair partition built and tested, so there was no really excruciating
pain
> involved, but I have had some interesting problems with the registry
since
> then.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1.  Booted from repair partition.
>
> 2.  Deleted old C: drive (NTFS format), and reformatted (as FAT) - size
did
> not change.
>
> 3.  Started ADSM (V3 client) and restored the entire C: drive.
>
> 4.  When the restore was complete, I copied the registry information from
the
> adsm.sys directory to the WINNT/SYSTEM32 directory as described in the
> redbook on bare metal restores.  (all 3 directories - all components
within
> the directories.
>
> 5.  I shut down the repair partition, and rebooted from the freshly
restored
> c: drive.  NT came up fine, but many of my preferences were gone.
>

> I should point out here that I have been running REGBACK each day as part
of
> the boot procedure.
>
> What was missing?   For example, all of the icons were back on my
desktop,
> but were rearranged.  The desktop customization (color, picture) were
gone.
> The screen definitions (1024 x 768) were there, but the fonts look
strange,
> Sound customization was also gone.  Applications like the ADSM
> Administrator's registry entries are also gone.  Microsoft Word V7 had
the
> same problem, as did XCEL.
>
> I did not expect this much lost information - Does anyone know if this is
> normal, or did I miss something in the restore (or backup) process?

-
-