ADSM-L

Re: backing up Microsoft Exchange mail files

1998-01-13 16:34:55
Subject: Re: backing up Microsoft Exchange mail files
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:34:55 -0500
Eliza,

Microsoft Exchange Server can be backed with the normal ADSM client
ONLY if the Exchange server is down. (i.e. offline backup)
In order to back up the Exchange Server while it is running (online) you must
have an external application that talks with the Exchange server through
their API interface.

The good news is IBM is working on an ADSM Agent to do this for you.
The ADSMConnect Agent For Microsoft Exchange Server is being worked on.
Unfortunately, I am not allowed to disclose when it will be released.
There will be some announcements early this year that will give more
information.
Until then, you should use the NTBACKUP facility for doing online backups
and ADSM to do offline backups.

Thanks,

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development

A user of mine wants to use ADSM to backup Microsoft Exchange mail files.
ADSM is ignoring these files now.  Any help will be appreciated.

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                 email   : eliza.lau AT vt DOT
edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                            Voice   : (540) 231-9399