ADSM-L

ADSM & Netware client restore of mac files (problem)

1998-01-12 13:30:49
Subject: ADSM & Netware client restore of mac files (problem)
From: "Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:30:49 -0500
Hello all -
Below is a description of a problem we are having with one of our
NetWare 4.1 servers. I have taken this straight from the Novell Web
site. The solution described below is for Arcserve. We have all the
correct TSA's as recommended and the problem persists. The server is
running the latest client for Netware.
Thanks,
CR

_________

Symptom

Backing up and then restoring mac files and folders would result in some
of the mac folders being split into two separate folders with some files
in one folder and some in the other.
The second mac folder may have a 0 on the end of the name in order to
avoid two separate folders with the same name being created in the same
directory.

The files do not appear to be corrupt. Some symptoms may include the
directory structure being flattened. That is, some subdirs are missing,
and their files copied to some directory higher up in the chain.

This problem has been seen with
arcserve
adsm
Solution
Solution

Problem comes from backing up and restoring in partial sms mode instead
of full sms mode.
Make sure the switch USE SMS LOGIC FOR DOS AND MAC FILES = YES
in the arcserve configuration option is set.

The problem can also occur if the backup is done in partial sms mode and
then the restore is done in full sms mode. The point is that both backup
and restore must be done in full sms mode.

In order to tell if this is happening, load the arcserve.nlm with the -d
option to enable debug mode.
After the backup and restore are complete, the error log should say that
each file was backedup/restored as an SMS FILE.
If only partial sms was used, the error log will say "restoring mac
file" instead of restoring sms file. The backup section will say the
same thing.

Make sure that the latest TSAs are being used on both source and target
servers. As of this writing, the latest files are in SMSUP6.EXE. This
file is on netwire, Novell's inhouse bbs and on Novell's web page. The
files must be backed up and restored using these latest TSAs.

Cris Robinson
Senior Technical Analyst
Desktop Services technical Support
Liberty Mutual Insurance